Sunday, February 1, 2009

A very pleasant surprise.

So I’m sat down Saturday evening enjoying the view chilling with a glass of my favourite tipple and the phone goes. This is never a problem, a guy has to pay the rent and it’s good to be in a position to help. I embrace the fact that people usually call me for one of three main reasons:

It’s all about to go awfully wrong

It’s all going awfully wrong

It’s all gone awfully wrong

There is a small subset of people that call as a precautionary measure in order to prevent something going wrong but these are most certainly in the minority.

Back to my call. It was a lady that I had completed an adoption trace for in the days prior to setting up my on firm. She had kept my cell phone number and was calling at international rates from her mother’s house on the one year anniversary of them having met for the first time in nearly thirty years.

It had not been the most difficult trace ever but was complicated by my having to tell the client that her birth mother did not want any direct contact with her.

In domestic / adoption traces such as this we NEVER reveal the target’s whereabouts to the client without their permission and the mother was simply not ready to get in contact.

The job was deemed finished but not with any great feeling of satisfaction other than being able to reassure the client as to her birth mothers health and wellbeing.

A couple of months after I had finished the job, the client’s birth mother contacted me and asked if I would pass on correspondence to her daughter. I obviously agreed and ended up acting as a post box for them both receiving and forwarding emails for a few months.

Eventually the mother passed her details on to her daughter and that was the last I had heard. That is until just over two years later on Saturday evening.

We spoke for quite some time with them passing the phone between each other. I have to admit a certain amount of pride regarding their call and to say I was happy would be a significant understatement.

This lady made my entire weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment