Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Jobs I do not like

For some unknown reason I have been getting enquiries involving various family breakdown issues recently.

It’s also not uncommon to get the “I think my partner / wife / girlfriend is having being unfaithful” type of enquiries but recently others have been cropping up.

Parental abduction was a recent one. Had a lady call to discuss how to obtain a restraining order against her husband.

And today I had a lady contact me about locating her ex-husband regarding the enforcement of a judgment regarding unpaid child support.

Although primarily my business is about making money I am (often to my detriment) a sucker for a hard luck story (one that I can in someway verify that is).

Today’s caller was of somewhat limited means, thus her need for child support. She seemed to think that she would pay me once her child support case was successful.

FIRST ISSUE: “You want to pay me out of funds obtained to assist in your child’s upbringing and welfare!” My attitude at this was a big NO and almost made me end the call. But we continued (as well as being a sucker for a hard luck story I often give more chances than should be reasonably expected).

I eventually figured out that this lady was simply doing verbal brain storming with little filtering between her ideas forming and exiting her brain. A relative in the background said she would pay any fees.

Unfortunately the lady that contacted me today also had the additional problem of the judgment being issued in one country and her ex believed to be in another. Enforcing a foreign judgment is never a swift or cheap process.

The conversation ended with me giving a bit of man on the street advice to the best of my ability based upon experience. I included my usual disclaimer that I am not an attorney, never even wanted to be one and that she should immediately compare what I had said against someone who is appropriately qualified to offer advice on the subject.

I may or may not hear from this lady again but I wish her well.

I really don’t like family / domestic matters. They just get me down. Give me a tasty fraud case, detailed background report or commercial intelligence enquiry any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment