Thursday, January 29, 2009

More Non-Magnum stuff.

Been trying to get my head around a complex report pulling data from left right and center pulled from various stacks of paper and who know how many open applications and windows on my PC and lap top.

Emails are going ka-ding, instant messages are going bing bong and both cell phones have been ringing, one of them from the client who has shifted the deadline for the complex report forward to this afternoon. The other from a customer service guy who was lucky to escape with only the mildest level of my dissatisfaction ringing in his ears.

It’s end of month, I have late payers that seem to think their invoice only needs paying upon my retirement, my bills need to be sorted and books done.

There are three traces still outstanding after a second month. Two of the trace clients are going to scream (Hey cut me some slack! One is a guy with a very common name no date of birth and a 19 year old last known address. One is a guy for whom we only had a Po Box which has sadly not been paid for and only had a hotel room as a last known address, again no date of birth. Then there is the guy with two properties both of which are derelict)

The office is a looks mess once again courtesy of the complex job, a few too many coffee cups, unfiled paperwork and a mass of cables from my ongoing effort to get more stuff doing more things.

Rumor has it that I’m supposed to have a life outside of work. When I find it, there are household chores to sort, mates that I really should make a point to go and see, family overseas that I need to pay more attention to and a garden which although small is blessed with Amazonian undergrowth.

Getting my head around all of that when the phone rings again this time from a friend of a friend who through the sobs asks whether I know a lawyer that can help her with a restraining order. Listen some more, give the number for my man of domestic law, give some advice on personal security and listen till she’s sobbed out.

A USB flash drive that I was going to use for the complex job has chosen now is it’s time to fail. Can I find a blank DVD anywhere? Hell no! Damned things vanish quicker than socks. Never mind take a walk to the computer shop and buy some.

Time for a break. Get up leave the swirling realm of madness behind go out and spark up. It’s been raining for two days (a rare thing in Jo’burg) so the air is clean, I have a pre-employment screening meeting later that could be very lucrative, some good music is playing, a friend has shocked me with their kindness, this coffee is great and all round it aint a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment