Friday, October 15, 2010

A Personal Experience Regarding Password Security. Doh!

“Yeah yeah yeah” you say. “We all know that you should have a password containing lower and upper case letters, numbers and symbols”.

Now who actually practices such principles in day to day life? Well I do. Which is precisely why I have not written on this blog since June 10 2009.

I… er, well you see… What happened was… Look I forgot the password ok!

All my passwords are variations of the same theme. A word or two word from a story about an ancient African King, part of a telephone number from youth, @’s in stead of O’s, 1’s instead of I’s and #’s instead of H’s. I do the same with webmail addresses that I do not want spammed.

Now you may all be there saying that putting my password formula out in the public domain is a massive breach of security. In response I ask you, if I cannot decipher my passwords how the hell will anyone else!

So how did I remember this one after a year and a half? Sitting at the kitchen table I had to think up a password for something and thought up one that would do the job. I then thought to myself “I’m sure I have used that one before”. I had and this dear reader is why the “You want what? YOU WANT IT WHEN? Blog is back on line!

A lot has happened over the last eighteen months so I’ll catch up on some of it, tell you about some current stuff, babble about the unimportant, rant about what gets me irate and empty the thoughts of an unusual mind for the delectation, discussion and hopefully amusement of others.

Well that’s all for now folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment